Wednesday, June 15, 2011

"A Little Bird I Am"

Here is a poem that is recorded in A.W. Pink’s “Sovereignty of God” which I thought was so encouraging and also convicting! Keep in mind as you read these joyful words, that the author of this poem was confined to a dark, dank dungeon deep underground for over ten years! And yet still she can sing these words of victory and unshaken confidence! What an example to all of us today. Enjoy Madame Guyon’s poem!

A little bird I am,

Shut from the fields of the air;

Yet in my cage I sit and sing

To Him who placed me there;

Well pleased a prisoner to be,

Because, my God, it pleases Thee.

Naught have I else to do;

I sing the whole day long;

And He whom most I love to please,

Doth listen to my song;

He caught and bound my wandering wing

But still He bends to hear me sing.

My cage confines me round;

Abroad I cannot fly;

But though my wing is closely bound,

My heart’s at liberty.

My prison walls cannot control

The flight, the freedom of the soul.

Ah; it is good to soar

These bolts and bars above.

To Him whose purpose I adore,

Whose Providence I love;

And in Thy mighty will to find

The joy, the freedom of the mind.

-“The Sovereignty of God”, by A.W. Pink, published by Banner of Truth Trust in 2009, pages 129-130.

2 comments:

  1. I love this poem! It is amazing that a women in solitary confinement is prison for so many years can still have such a love and trust in God.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this poem! it is amazing that a women who was in prison, in solitary confinement no less, can still write these words with such love and trust in God.

    ReplyDelete